View Single Post
BrooklynM 02:18 PM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by RBettis:
HI, I am ready to get clearance to get a Child Development Permit License. However, I am scared to dead. In 2010 I got charged with shoplifting for some chocolates. I know, the worse decision I have ever made in my life ~ literally . I hunts me everyday and I regret every bit of it.

When we got the forms, the lady mentioned that if we had something in our background such as shoplifting, DUI and we had a child with us, the license would be denied (she said: "child endangerment"). She gave us an example of someone that had a DUI and had a child in the back of the car. She did not give an example of shoplifting and I didn't want to ask because I thought everyone sitting in that room would know I was talking about me... and you know, I feel so ashamed that I don't want to tell more people other than the one I absolutely need to tell.

Anyway, I was indeed with my child. She was 3 months old at that time (May, 10, 2010 @ 3 pm). After going to court, I got charged with an "infraction". It was a conviction because they said I was guilty (which I was indeed). They didn't give me a misdemeanor, like I said, an infraction and I paid a fine... other than lawyers fees (which the $6.95 amounted to thousands of dollars, let along with immediate family horrible judgements that still are with me... and the fact that it has been hard to forgive myself).

I live in California.

My question is, do you know of a similar case that this person was granted the license or was denied? I would like to open a pre-school center... but I will start with a home care for a bout a year if everything would work well.

P.S. I must add, I did this when I was older (not a child), which makes it even sadder.

Please let me know, something you must know.
best and thank you!!
The only way to really know is to submit your application and go through the process. You MUST be honest about it. If you are not, it can be an automatic denial. I actually know someone that didn't disclose something and they got denied based on withholding the information, so just be honest and hope for the best! The fact that you had the child with you may be enough to deny you to be honest, but you will never know if you don't try!