View Single Post
TomCopeland 08:53 AM 04-26-2013
The provider violated her agreement with the parent by transporting the child against the express wishes of the parent. What should the provider have done? Called the parent. Called other persons on the authorized list to pick up the child. If this failed, called child protection/police as a last resort.

Rather than call child protection or the police, the provider could have stayed home and waited for the parent. Yes, she misses the ball game, but her primary consideration should be the child. It seems to me a situation where the provider needed to have made better plans with the parent as to what would happen if the parent didn't pick up on time. This could involve identifying a number of other people who could be called to pick up the child in this situation. Or it could be made clear to the parent that the provider would call child protection if the parent didn't fulfill her agreement to pick up the child. Calling the police without a heads up is probably an extreme reaction if the parent doesn't have a warning about it.

I can understand the parent being angry in this situation because the provider went against her express wishes. If this went to court, I think the parent would probably win. If I was the provider I wouldn't try to collect money owed under the contract as this would make the parent even more angry. Angry parents are more likely to spread bad word of mouth. I would let this go and plan ahead more carefully the next time around.