View Single Post
Chickenhauler 03:15 AM 09-12-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
first of all, childcare fees are not normally SMALL by any means.
Hour for hour, are they comparable to a private school tuition?

Nope.

You get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by :
secondly, it's not a debate about parents teaching their children. if that were the case, we'd need no school at all because parents could just quit their jobs and everybody could stay home and teach their own kids. ask them how that's working out in africa.

lastly, i'd like to hear from ONE provider that doesn't feel like they are TEACHING the kids they "just" CARE for. in fact, most of the daycares i've experienced - the "providers" call themselves TEACHERS.
True, but keep in mind, daycare providers aren't teaching calculus or chemistry, they're teaching manners, social behavior, colors, tie your shoes, don't poop on the rug, etc.

They say the first five years are the most important.....but they never say what's most important to teach in that time. IMHO, that is morality/right from wrong.

Originally Posted by :
the first five years ARE the most crucial - that's a fact, not an opinion. but - i'm glad you at least realize there is a difference other than "just a piece of paper." most ppl who say providers don't need an education and/or they can do the same or better of a job as a person with an ECE degree seem to think it's a level playing field. if you want the same respect and notoriety, you should be held to the same standards.
I'll be honest, I think degrees are highly over rated, especially by people who have a degree without having real world experience. They tend to discount/look down their noses on those who have been doing the task for years with great success, but because they don't have a slip of paper that says they parroted back the proper responses at the proper time in a special room, the 'educated' think they are automatically superior.

Just because a person has a degree doesn't mean they have a clue what they are doing.