View Single Post
Blackcat31 09:49 AM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I do preschool activities with my group (but I also homeschool), which consists of the usual ABC's, 123's. But I agree, it has gotten a little out of control in regards to parent expectations.
What I think is funny about this, is how licensing/government is now pushing it, at least in my state.
I'm on the grant committee for Think Small in my state and our priorities for this year's grants have changed so much from the past priorities. The big push now is getting all providers to use Assessment Tools.

The breakdown of allotted money for FCC is a bit skewed too:
2015/2016 Family Child Care - $1100 Maximum total for all grant types

• $300 Physical Health and Well-being
• $200 Teaching and Relationships
• $100 Assessing of Child Progress
• $500 Professional Development

So, they want us to put more emphasis on getting degrees & Assessments, rather than larger purchases in safety & the equipment that gets used daily (Physical Health & Well- Being). In the past, "Professional Development" has maxed out at no more than $300 for my county and usually geared towards the basic continuing education requirements. "Assessing of Child Progress" is new this year and licensing has been emailing nearly every provider pushing Assessments like POCET, The Ounce Scale and Brigance.
I am in your state and also part of Parent Aware. I participate in Think Small and the Early Learning- Race to the Top scholarship programs.

They focus on providers using assessment tools because they want more early intervention. I agree with that idea/concept but I think they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

I am on the grant review committee for those that apply for the statewide child care regional grants and the entire way we are to rate the grant requests has also changed. The focus of course is more on those things that align with PA than anything safety or health related.

They are also giving priority to those providers that are 1 and 2 stars over the ones that have already completed and done the rating process at the 3 and 4 star levels.