View Single Post
Unregistered 12:03 PM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This. As someone who had a family member go through very public legal issues a few years ago, I will say that a LOT of misinformation is put out by officials to make it seem as though the person they are targeting is 100% guilty. This way the person, rather than risk going to trial, takes a plea bargain. It makes the DA look good. And there are not as many trial lawyers as one would think - mostly they all want you to take the plea so the can get a fee and go home to their kids at a decent hour.

Threre was just an excellent article/study about how our legal system really isn't working because of the plea bargains, etc.

It's why I never believe anything until I can research ALL sides.

Obviously this will never be an okay situation - a child is dead. But if the provider was licensed, in ratio, actively supervising the kids, had all the i's dotted and t's crossed, etc then I hope she fights like hell.
imo it still wouldn't merit those kinds of charges, still a accident. The lifeguards didn't catch it either. If they find out she was't licensed that would probably be a misdemeanor.

You do have to research because there is so much bs reported. Recently a child died of SIDS just S. of me and it was in the paper. The reporter made sure to use the "illegal Daycare" card in his story online. I made sure to post that in our state you don't have to be licensed. He argued, even after going on their website because he didn't understand it.

I ended up giving him their phone number, and he did apologize. I also told him that wouldn't matter one bit in a case of SIDS. If one were unlicensed that is a completely different issue.

As for the court system you are correct, trials take a lot of time and inconveniences everyone involved.