View Single Post
Ariana 09:41 AM 01-08-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
We have a 2yo boy who started with us last September exhibiting some of what you've mentioned. He meandered (and still does but not as much) all day not landing on anything of interest. He did not participate in activities and did not interact with the other children. He whined for everything and did absolutely nothing for himself. Example, if we were painting with paintbrushes he would just sit holding brush, looking at paint and paper. We would have to hold his hand, help him put brush to paint then paint on paper all the while holding his hand. Same with eating etc.,
The issue was that his doting parents and grandparents did absolutely EVERYTHING for him.

We told family to show and then allow him to do things himself to the extent of his ability, encourage him to use his words, and do activities with him ie reading, doing a puzzle etc. to help him focus - all of which we were doing at daycare. About 3 weeks ago he started speaking, participating in some activities, attempting to put on his shoe etc. He interacts with us and not so much the children so we create small group games with the other kids and him to show him how to play and make friends. Some kids need more support than others.

However, I agree with others on here that he should be evaluated. It won't hurt. So try to convince mom to do so and give her information and resources on how to proceed.
Yes I beginning to think that the doting at home is causing all of this. Mom actually works with autistic kids but she didn’t know what an MCHAT was or what SPD was so it is confusing how she even got a job! Mom is NOT going to be receptive to any of this and the trouble I am having is that he is meeting most of his milestones, except for receptive and expressive language in my opinion. I really don’t suspect ASD with him. Sometimes I think he is just spoiled rotten and has no idea how to cope when that environment changes and he is required to use his brain.