View Single Post
QualiTcare 07:01 AM 01-07-2011
[quote=Crystal;69492]this is SO true! To actually become accredited, there are MANY quality indicators that a provider must meet. The provider must conduct their own self-study, which may take up to two years, and then undergo a very intensive observation by a qualified accredidation observer. Recieving the accredidation means that the provider is offering an excellent, above average program that meets the developmental needs of all of the children in care. I think an accredited provider would meet the distinction of being a "teacher"[/QUOTE]

but they don't. most every associate's degree known to man takes 2 years to complete and it's very rare that someone with a 2 year education receives a professional license - not that a self study is the same as an education. a LPN can get a license in 2 years, but that's another group who twists terms. CNA's claiming to be nurses - people with CDA's claiming to be teachers. it makes NO SENSE!! be proud of what YOU have (not YOU pesonally), but don't go around claiming to have something/be something that you're NOT! if you claim to be something that you're not, it just shows that's what you really want to be - which makes me wonder.....why don't you do the work if you want the title? let's go ahead and give piano TEACHERS a discount and dance TEACHERS. hell, let's give the cashier who TEACHES us how the register works (joyce) lol! i'm gonna go put a band-aid on someone else's kid and start telling people i'm a NURSE!

the bottom line is, as nannyde was saying, use of the word "teacher" came about in childcare because it made the staff feel good and it made the parents feel like their children were being cared for by someone educated, someone who "knew what they were doing" because they took classes! nevermind the fact they weren't college classes and could've been taught by joe blow. i've always played along, but when we want to get technical about it, childcare providers are just that - childcare providers. EVEN if they're a childcare provider who did a two year "self study" and underwent AN observation.