Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Blackcat31 12:10 PM 08-08-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a new daycare provider and I am wondering if I am just to sensitive to do this. I get back from my unpaid vacation to find out -one child will be leaving for a month (who last I heard was going to start coming full time) (no payment left to hold her spot as per contract), .
If they didn't pay you a deposit that is required according to your contract, then it is up to you to enforce the contract and get the deposit from them or do not save their space.

-one child is cutting back their days (more lost income),
I charge more for part time care then drop in. If I had a family wanting to drop to part time from full time, I would make sure they understand that full time ALWAYS trumps part time and they will be subject to losing their space all together if they drop down to part time. Plus 3 days of part time care here is almost as much as full time so the income loss wouldn't be that significant.

- Then when I asked one family if they may consider a MWF schedule since they now come part time in order to help accomidate another PT infant they threatened to pull their child. I am trying to make ends meet the best I can and I can not understand the logic of these families.
The logic is that families will always do what works best for them, as they should. If it doesn't work for you to do any days besides MWF then don't do it. I would simply tell them the only part time space you have is either MWF or T Th and that is it. I don't ask parents to accommodate me, I just let them know what I am willing to do and a varying schedule is not something I will do.

Do they think I have a tree that grows money in my backyard and that I can hold a spot for everyone to come anytime that is conenient for them? This has left me so upset I don't know what to do with these demanding families, I wish I could turn back the clock and start again.
It isn't that they think you have a money tree, although I wish we all did , it is just that they are looking out for themselves and we all do that. It is human nature. If you can't afford to hold a spot for any of them, don't do it. Advertise and find replacement families. You arein charge of your business and if you don't take charge, you get walked on.

I am sorry you are going through this at all. Child care is a tough business and not one where out income is ever guaranteed so you have to do what works for you.