View Single Post
Unregistered 03:21 PM 03-10-2017
I recently took on a dcg who is 4yrs old with Downs Syndrome. I have never cared for a child with special needs in my group before but didn't see a reason why not. Well, maybe I over estimated my abilities because I'm struggling. Here are a few of my major issues:
Dcg is not potty trained and no where close. Dcm was very upfront about this so it was no shock. The problem is that dcg diaper dives within seconds of pooping and twice now smeared it on my walls. Dcg also elopes! We were in my fenced yard and she climbs my fence. This happens everytime we are outside. Ive pulled her off the fence many times but she succefully made it over the fence into my neighbors yard! This was so scary and I had to scale the fence to get her back. I could obviously see my group at all times but I was still in the neighbors yard trying to coax dcg back over. The last problem I'm having is behavior. Dcg gets frustrated easily. When she does she hits me or rams her head into the play room wall while screaming. She also gets agitated because I can not understand her most of the time due to her disability. When she becomes aggressive or hits she goes into time out but won't sit. I'm lost as to what to do here because the rest of my group eventually stops resisting when they see that I will put them back in time out every time. Dcg was led back to timeout for over 20 mins and it got to the point that I had to get lunch served so I gave up.

I'm willing to try and make this work but I'm struggling. Dcm is helpful in backing me up with dcg but doesn't have many ideas to help. She said at home they lock her in her bedroom for time out and that won't happen here! Any ideas? Anyone ever had a special needs kid?