View Single Post
LittleScholars 09:20 AM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's normal practice for landlords here to do inspections.

The only thing I'd do differently is ask them to come when you are not working. That is a violation of the DCK's privacy but I doubt you can do anything about it as the landlord has a right to inspect their property as long as they do so according to your state's laws.

Totally understand that it feels intrusive but it's their right and something you must abide by as a tenant.

I'm sorry that it was such an unpleasant experience this time though. Hopefully its not because they (landlord) want to sell.... that would mean another move and that would be awful.

This is a very normal practice here, as well. I share that in hopes that it seems less sketchy or purposeful. Landlords are encouraged to take pictures, as it is their only way of demonstrating the condition of the property and any damage done. That does not mean you are doing anything wrong or that you've caused any damage at all.

With that being said, I would absolutely reach out to them and tell them you run a daycare and you need to work together to be sure it doesn't put the children or their confidentiality at risk. I think this is a super reasonable request, and I imagine the property manager simply has a protocol they are required to follow and isn't considering your specific situation. I think properties managed by a manager vs. the owner can feel extra impersonal in this way.

I looked up the law and I don't see where landlords are restricted to one annual inspection so long as they give proper notice. My husband and I are brand new landlords (our tenants haven't even moved in yet), so I'm always interested in learning more. I'm sorry the inspection went to poorly, but I'm appreciative that you shared because it gives me some tenant perspective!