View Single Post
Blackcat31 02:30 PM 11-02-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
One of my big complaints about grants is most won't let you submit materials lists. For what a simple wooden swing/ playhouse kit costs I can build something twice the size with a ton more features and still have $ to buy a bunch of stuff to play with outside. Same thing with furniture and things like light tables.
Right?!

Every year we can apply for a service grant and last year I wanted to get a toddler play ground set for outside.

Menards, Home Depot and Lowes want a ridiculous amount of money for them....my DH literally flips every time we even discuss buying one.... so when we apply for our grants we have to know what we want to buy before we're awarded the grant so I submitted a request for one of those toddler playset from Menards and once I got approved for it, I requested that my DH be able to build it himself instead of us buying it. They actually said yes!

My DH was thrilled because you are right, the wanted almost $500 for it at Menards but my DH did it for less than $150. His time was all that he had to invest after buying materials. We now have the exact playset I wanted but for a lot less money.