View Single Post
Unregistered 10:39 AM 07-07-2012
I would be very, very careful with this. I understand as a parent how upsetting hearing something like this from your child is but at that age it really could be a misunderstanding.
We were planning a trip to Disney when my daughter was around this age and she said "I don't have to stay home and watch TV like before?" She has 2 older siblings and we took them before she was born, she saw pictures and since she wasn't in them she came up with a story that we left her at home alone while we went to Disney she even elaborated and told us that she just sat at home and watched TV. Another story, I was walking up the stairs and she was walking down, we tripped over each other and she tumbled two steps (she didn't even get hurt) but when dad got home from work she told him I threw her down the stairs. LOL. On another note how you ask a question can determine the answer for the child of that age. When asking a question you should not add anything...example: Instead of asking "Did Mrs. D hurt you" you would say "how was school", if she answered "someone hurt me you would say "tell me what happened" and not "where did Mrs.D hurt you?" I know it sounds crazy but that is why there are people trained to ask children questions. Children of this age pick up so much from television, other kids and from listening to adult conversations that it is easy to accidentally manipulate their story.