View Single Post
rhymia1 11:48 AM 09-28-2012
Do you feel that if a career woman chooses to have kids, that they should reduce the amount of time they spend in the office or make their work schedule so that they can mother their children? Do you think that a mother should be willing to sacrifice her career so that she can have children? Would that be fair?

No. In this country it's "every man/woman for themselves" and women who don't work for money often end up eating cat food when they are elderly. Unfortunately, raising your children is not viewed as worthwhile because it's not a paid profession - we worship at the alter of the almighty dollar. There isn't much sympathy for elderly women living in poverty Women with "flex" schedules are often overlooked for promotions and raises.

Is it fair to the children who have mothers who are career women and therefore the children have to be in daycare's or cared for by a caregiver for very long periods of time?
Who said life was fair? Poor women have to work for survival and their kids are in day care/with relatives all day long. The care most career women secure for their children is usually top notch care.

Of course, I am talking about married women, where there is a significant other in the picture......
What if the father dies, or more statistically likely, leaves her?It's very hard to jump back into the workforce. And many people are so underinsured that it's ridiculous. And even if they have some life insurance, they would still need health insurance. Part of having children is being able to provide basics, and while this woman seems to be dripping in unnecessary labels, if something were to happen to her husband, she would still be able provide for her kids.

AND, does it make a difference who the primary caregiver is? Mom or Dad? Keeping it simple, I want to use a mother/father question even though some house holds are two moms or two dads..... I don't think it matters.

Truthfully your friend's wife sounds like a shrew, but not because she works so much. Just because she's a shrew Honestly, I chose to work at home so I can be with my children. But my priorities are not everyone else's. Thank goodness or I wouldn't have a job