Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Leigh 08:30 AM 06-26-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Welp HFM has hit my daycare for the first time. I have one sib set and only the boy has it but mom is also keeping sister home as a precaution, she ran a fever this weekend. Actually I sent them both home with fevers on Friday afternoon. They were both together all weekend with my niece at a family function so chances are at least one of the girls will come down with it. Informed all parents about the diagnosis and one of my younger ones has it as well. Another (the mom I vented about earlier) had her son tested as well as he ran a fever Sunday and today but said the test was negative.

As far as exclusion I am not sure. I’ve read all the threads here with a HFM tag and it seems to be split with what providers do. Basically the jist of what I’m getting is it’s contagious before symptoms and esp while running the fever and up u til after spots have started to scab over. So basically they were all probably exposed anyways.
They probably were all exposed, BUT, more exposures=more likely to contract the illness. Exclusion still helps prevent the spread (I have never had a DCK get it from another DCK).

I'm not so sure that DCM was telling you the truth about having a "negative test" for it. I truly doubt that any doctor would order lab work for HFM for a child who wasn't critically ill (like, a kid who has cancer, and when they must know exactly which bacteria or virus is attacking the child). Especially unlikely when the child's only symptom is fever. Doctors diagnose HFM by exam.