View Single Post
Mom2Two 09:14 AM 12-21-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
So do what your licensor suggested. No one is looking over your shoulder.
Unfortunately, we are being encouraged to fudge, which amounts to downright lying, when asked about certain things. So why the heck create all these rules if providers are being encouraged to fudge them??
It's true...there are a couple of rules that are confusing and I have to fudge on, meaning that the rule doesn't spell out every situation, and I have to choose what is truly in the best interests of the children, even if it isn't the "letter of the law." But I had the idea that those laws were just old. I'm side-swiped that this one is brand new.

In the end i decided that I will tell my licensor that if I average it over a year, I have less than 5 hours/week screen time. Pretty sure. But some weeks go way beyond that and others are naught.

Originally Posted by DaveA:
Simple- the people making the rules haven't worked with children or feel the need to do "something" regardless of if it makes sense or not. Yes, it's another one from the Ivory Tower crew.

In my case I would ask what counts as screen time. We have a great children's music channel on our cable. I turn it on after lunch for naptime and leave it on the rest of the day. It's music and a couple dozen changing pictures (birds, toys, flowers, etc.) It gives me access to a lot of different music for the kids. Does that count as screen time? What about allowing school agers to use my computer to research for homework? Oye
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I sometimes use my Chromebook to pull up folk songs (I'm home schooling my preschooler, and Language & Literacy for the first couple of years is mostly nursery rhymes, fairy tales, folk tales and folk songs). I have to turn the Chromebook to the wall or the kids will all end up clustered around it. . . even if it's just a lyric video.
ITA--it's getting so hard to draw a bright line anymore. Music on Youtube...DD's curriculum is on the computer...how can I even stop kids from watching over her shoulder? It's Common Core stuff--how can they tell us one thing then contradict it? I used IXL for my K readiness and also RAZ Kids reading library. Fountas and Pinnel reading levels. And Spellingcity.com--all paid for and prescribed by DD's eSchool.

Originally Posted by Annalee:
Computer, ipad, etc. counts as screen time here and is not allowed for infants at all. What has happened here is the QRIS FCCERS-R book guidelines are being placed in the licensing rules. So this TV rule and many other rules are changing in many states. The TV one isn't a biggie to me but the magnitude of expectations/guidelines here is a biggie. I expect many states to follow. Just like the original poster said, licensing said the rules would "never happen"...well, I have been told that so much here, I don't believe that anymore. IT IS HAPPENING! Like I said the TV rule is no biggie to me but be expected for crazier things to follow!
Same.

Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
I play music on my computer a lot, mostly YouTube then I minimize the window so there's no visual. I have one kid who will still stare at the computer! Even as everyone else is playing or dancing.
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Wait till they tell you YOU can't be on any screen while the kids are in your care. No phone unless it's business related or emergency either.

Check out New York State's regs.

I still can't believe it.
I'll have to look that one up.

Do they not understand that daycare isn't perfect? I'm a believer in all that I am taught n my classes. I try to follow the rules. But the reality is that my daycare is on the main level of my home. This gives my clients a lower cost and also it gives my kids a more homey environment. I use my personal judgement to decide what is best for the group.

Education is becoming more and more techy. How on earth can I separate it and not allow an infant to lay eyes on it? Not. happening.

I know that some providers abuse screen time, but wow, this new rule is way too rigid.