View Single Post
Missjaime 05:43 PM 01-17-2017
I was a full time preschool teacher with the local school district when I decided to stay home with my kids and start my in home day care. I have gone through a lot of things previous posters have mentioned. The hardest for me has been how much my own kids resent the day care kids. Some days they barely leave their rooms. That said, when they were littler it was great. They had friends, everyone got along, I got to be home with them for their best and worst days. I didn't have to leave them with someone else while I went and worked, and that really felt great. Now, however, they are both school aged and I am missing some things. I can't easily take a day off for a field trip with them, for example. I can't drive them to school or pick them up. I work all their school breaks, so we don't really get to spend the time I used to spend when I was teaching. I have done this for 4 years and am fairly successful (I am full, I have a good reputation and a waiting list, plus I have lucked into a group of great parents), but I am seriously considering returning to teaching. Now that they are big, I find myself hating changing diapers and all the stuff that goes with dealing with very small ones. I'm ready to move on. As far as re-joining the workforce, I am actually ok with putting owner/operator of a successful small business on my resume.
Oh, plus, if two kids dropped for any reason and I had trouble filling their spots, I would be ruined. I am looking forward to the idea of a regular paycheck and not having to track my every expense!
Lots of things to consider, many pluses and minuses. It was perfect for our family for the last many years, it might be great for you too.