View Single Post
Meyou 11:44 AM 04-25-2012
The treatment kills the live lice and forces the nits (eggs) to hatch prematurely and then is suppose to kill them as they hatch. BUT one live louse can reinfest in less than a week so you have to nitpick daily for at least a week IMO to be sure you got them all. Nitpicking is painfully tedious and takes forever if you do it right. You have to comb and check each hair for nits daily.

You also need to wash all bedding, towels and carseats, vacuum mattresses, baseboards and furniture and bag all fabric things (like stuffies) that can't be washed for 2 weeks in airtight garbage bags.

Personally, I would get DCG to stay home for 2-3 days after the last nit or louse is seen and then I would check her head myself before I would let her past the front door.

ETA: there are also drug resistant strains of lice out there. If DCG keeps getting reinfested she may have one of those. In that case you need to do even more nitpicking and use a natural cure which vary from a vinegar solution to unglue the nits to tea tree oil and other oils on the head to smother the live lice.