View Single Post
nannyde 11:26 AM 04-11-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Infant equipment (any of it) is the second worst thing ever invented.

Battery operated swings
Vibrating chairs
Bouncy seats
Bumbo chairs
Jump-a-roos
Rock N Play

What's the point of any of them anyways?
To occupy a baby so the parent doesn't have to?
So the baby isn't left to figure out how to occupy themselves? *gasp*

What's wrong with the good old floor when not in an adult caregiver's arms?
I like bouncy seats but only the OLD school ones with the flat wide trays surrounded by a lip with attached toys and real estate to put a bunch of baby toys on. I like to rotate toys so they always have something new. They ones from the late nineties are awesome. Really nice for that age group of six to nine months when they wear out after a while on the floor and when getting kids dressed for outdoors. They are deep meaning the distance from the crotch to the base of the exersaucer is long enough that you can adjust it so that it fits the leg length of the baby as it grows so it can flat foot the base but not slam the seat to bounce. The new ones have bubbly tops where you can't put a bunch of baby toys on it and they are very shallow. Useless.

I like swings but the old school ones with the high arch and deep seats with trays. I like them for the first few days of having a newborn to four to five months when they are so stressed from being away from the parents and when they are motion addicted. I use them for short periods of time for a few days and then once the baby is used to me it's flat floor or infant seats (old school too). They go back in storage until the next baby comes along. I ALWAYS have the baby within eyeshot in swings and ANY containment equipment except play yards. With play yards it's a check in every few minutes if it's not in the play room.

I don't use the bumbo seats and HATE jumparoos. I've never had a rock n play because they came out when I found out about positional asphyxiation. I have had staff assistants that like the bumbo for feeding when the bumbo is on the floor. I've never used them myself.

I've had SO many motion addicted babies that I use the swings just for a few transition days. If they fall asleep in it they immediately come out. I only use them AFTER naps.

The jolly jumpers addicts are SO hard to take care of. I always ask if they have one at home so I know it will take weeks before the kid gets used to gravity.