View Single Post
marniewon 06:10 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think I would tell her that you will only seperate him from the other kids if he continues to act out. If he does, then you will have to seperate him from the other kids.

You are not asking them to leave, you are offering a solution.

If she wants to pull him then she needs to put it in writing and she will forefit any pay becuase she has not supplied a two week notice....
My only problem with giving him another shot at hurting someone before I separate him is that he's already had so many chances. It was getting better, but obviously the issue is still there. I've already told the mom that I would be keeping him separate, and I'm not sure I should back down on that. How many chances should I give him? Especially since, under normal circumstances, I should have termed him long ago, or at least on the spot today.

When we were working on this behavior before (when he first started it was very bad), I would start each day fresh, and then the first time he acted out he was separated for the rest of the day. I just feel like since it got better, but is still happening, I shouldn't give him that many opportunities to hurt someone again.

And today it happened so quickly that I couldn't stop it. He was playing very nicely and they were all having fun and then bam - he punched her. No reason at all that I could see.

This is why I'm so confused. I'm a firm believer of not carrying things over and I don't feel like I should just give up on him and separate him for good, but at what point do I say enough is enough and he needs to be away from the others to keep them safe? Nothing really works with him - time outs do no good, separation doesn't teach him anything, ignoring him and coddling the victim doesn't phase him. So I'm not in "teaching" mode anymore, because I've done all I know to do and nothing is working. Now I'm just in protection mode.

Thank you for your input - even if I do counter question everything , I really do appreciate it!