View Single Post
nannyde 03:26 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Because yes the parents are PAYING for a service for another adult to WATCH and CARE for the child. Not to be sleeping. Of course you don't put a price of a child. But in this day and age of sue happy people, you can never be to cautious.
NO

You can't pay someone 2/3/4 dollars an hour to cover that kind of service. It's not enough money.

I have a staff assistant. It would cost me 15 dollars a day to watch the morning sleepers sleep and 25 dollars a day to watch the afternoon nappers sleep. That's 40 dollars a day. That's 200 a week and $10,000 a year. Then add another 1000 bucks to cover the employer portion of the taxes and now we are at $11,000

I would have to raise my rates 6.50 per kid per day to cover that. I promise you if I went to all my clients and said for an extra 6.50 a day I will have an adult watch your child sleep they would laugh all the way out the door. They may want it but they would only want it if it were free.

This is a PERFECT example of how we expect home day care's to do EXPENSIVE care of children yet the rates we can charge don't come CLOSE to the staff time cost of doing it.

We tell home day care's that something like this is for the "safety of the children" yet from the time the child leaves our home until they come back the "safety of the children" isn't being done. If it's a TRUE need of human babies it should be required every day regardless of who the adult is. It's the same baby. Either they need an adult watching them sleep or they don't. Which one is it?

Have you ever done home day care? I see you are a Nanny and a former preschool teacher but I haven't read about you running your own home day care.