View Single Post
Cat Herder 06:28 AM 03-13-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
There is just a population of breastfeed babies that refuse the bottle. Do your research. It's real. I am one of those miserable moms who is desperate to try and teach my baby to take a bottle.

All of this I say to explain to you that many educated women, like myself, ARE TRYING. DESPERATELY trying. And 'taking a few more weeks' I doubt would be productive in my case. I have tried since week 6, and she is now 13 weeks. I go back to work in 4 weeks.

So please, PLEASE explain to me what I should do to make it easier on you. Sheesh, kick a girl when she's down! What happened to 'care' in the word 'caregiver'? Don't mask that you believe you are truly caring by sending the child home. Partner with the parent. HELP them.

It's proven that many children REFUSE the bottle from the mom because they can sense that the "goods" are only a few layers of fabric away. So in all actuality, it is usually a spouse, or patient caregiver who helps these babies develop this skill.

Again, this is just sad to hear everyone of you patting each other on the back like "yeah, you tell 'em!"
I think some of it is that you came into the "Providers" section where we were supporting the OP's feelings and frustrations. This is a common problem that is dumped on us....not by Mothers like you, most often. I do not know of a provider who would not bend over backwards to help a Mom who was really trying. We can see it in your eyes.

Your situation is not as common as the Moms who just do what is easiest for them. "I am paying you so why should I have to do the work?". It is real, I have been asked that very question

I have had several children transitioning to a cup with great difficulty to find that mom has gone back to co-sleeping and "free" breast feeding because she got tired of getting up at night. SHE was the one who asked me to transition to whole milk in a cup to begin with, how fair is that?? This is not uncommon in the 11-12th month when they start getting restless. At least at my house.....

I breastfed all 3 of my own children, my last 18 enrolled newborns were breast fed. Out of those only two had "bottle problems" due to prematurity. They did not get to work on sucking/latching on early due to being on ventilators.

Once they were discharged we did work as a team...endlessly. At their homes, and mine. One required tube feedings and I worked with that as well....

You came into a "Provider" venting/supporting thread, that is all.

I do want to mention that Breatsmilk is sweeter than formula, infants are naturally drawn to sweet (aren't we all??). Our La Leche coach recommends using a bit of glucose water in the bottles at first to teach them to like it better than the breast (just like they did in the hospital until your milk came down remember? Unless you were one of the lucky ones who had milk day one?). Then have Dad give the Breastmilk in the bottle with you out of the room for a bit (alternate every feeding breast/bottle). Deliberate and consistent.

Carnation Good Start is one of the sweeter ones on the market and babies go nuts for it...IMHE If you find yourself needing to supplement your supply.

Also, make sure any pacifier use is similar to the type of bottle nipple you are using (Avent works great for first transitions, Dr. Browns works great for colic even though they do leak a bit, it's worth it)

I am sure others will give you their advice, too.. Thats just what I have found to work here and I only enroll newborns. Mostly premature ones.

I do wish you luck and want to remind you that this phase is not forever, you are not alone and it will be worth it. Ok???