View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 09:11 AM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Thank you for your in put and I have already made most of the changes to the letter/E-mail.

Just because I am enjoying the conversation this has started the two major things I was not comfortable saying was

1. "the school also has a protocol in place to reduce and prevent the further spread of lice"

Because, I do not consider the way the school handels this to be preventing the spread I actualy think the school is helping to spread it.

2. "I understand your concern from a parent's perspective"

Because, I do not understand his concern children get headlice and other things, it is part of being a child.

Any way with all that being said if anyone has any other constructive in put about the letter itself please give it soon as I will soon be sending it out via E-mail will send it certified mail if I have not gotten a response by 9:00 Am on Friday.
I can see why you are not comfortable with #1 because obviously your schools don't handle lice the same way that schools in my area handle them. Here too if one child is seen "scratching" they are sent to the nurses office for a private lice check. If lice is found the child stays in the office and a parent is called and the child stays home for a mandatory 48 hours. The other children in the class are then checked one by one using the same process. If more than one child in the class has it, all parents get a letter. If more than one child has lice in two different classrooms then the whole school gets a note. Infested children must go into the office for another check the first day after the 48 hours to make sure that the lice and nits are gone etc.

Maybe instead of adding the stuff about the school you can insert information about what measures you have taken to ensure that there are no lice in your home like vacuumed/shampooed all soft furniture like chairs and sofas. Wiped down, dusted and disinfected all surfaces and hard toys. Laundered all area rugs, bedding, plush animals, curtains, laundry and pillows in hot water and dried in high heat for a minimum of 50 minutes. Sprayed mattresses and large furniture with lice spray (don't forget about your vehicles). Steam cleaned the carpet. Treated DS with lice shampoo with 2 treatments, checked and combed DS's hair several times a day to ensure that there are no more lice etc.

As for #2 just keep in mind that all you're really saying is that you understand that they have a need to feel like they have a right to keep their child home, which they do. That's all you're saying. You're not agreeing to their choice, you are just acknowledging that they have a right to do as they wish (keep their child home). You have already addressed in your note that they aren't going to get a "break" in the weekly fee.