View Single Post
DaveA 04:03 AM 11-30-2015
Sorry I'm late to the party- stayed off the computer most of the weekend. First of all- welcome and good luck if you decide to pursue this field!

Short answer is Yes you can. I know of no jurisdiction that prohibits males from starting a daycare (home or center). The long practical answer is a bit more complex.

You will definitely be in the minority. The last stat I saw lists ECE as 90-95% female, but even that is high because it includes non-teacher center staff (comptrollers, cooks, janitors, etc). In home daycare it's even rarer: in my county I'm one of 3 guys who are the sole name on a home daycare license. When I started I was the only one, so our numbers have tripled If you choose centers, you quite likely will be the only guy there. Sometimes you might be the first guy man they've ever interviewed there. So that will make you a bit of a novelty.

The good news is by my (unscientific but experienced based) estimation 50-75% the people (parents and staff) will have no issues, 15-25% will be surprised or concerned but open minded enough to give you a real chance to show what you can do, and 10-15% will be opposed to you no matter what. The last group will drive you nuts every so often, but overall ECE has been good to me.

Going to make a stereotype here, but you will have a better time with the dads then them moms, especially single moms. Although the dads who are bothered by you will be REALLY opposed to you caring for their child, they are rarer. I've had maybe a dozen dads vocally against me caring for their child as opposed to far more moms who lost their minds when their child was assigned to my classroom. Remember when dealing with parents they often err on the side of overreacting, so I tend to cut parents a bit more slack. The downside is it will be a bit harder to attract new DCFs, but you will be able to really shine when you get families willing to "take a chance"

When dealing with other professionals I'm more combative. You will deal with some pretty stupid assumptions from idiots. Over the years I've had other teachers/ directors/ home daycare providers assume I was:
Gay or Trying to meet women
Pedophile
Inexperienced with kids regardless of years in the field.
Using ECE as a stepping stone to "real" teaching (as in a school)
Not nurturing or caring
Too big/ rough to be gentle with kids
Only wanting to work with older children
I tend to fight fire with fire when dealing with other professionals. I have a very snarky and sarcastic side, and coming at with a sexist point of view will get it in spades from me. You'll adopt your own method quickly. But really most professionals won't be a problem.

Regardless, all in all ECE can be a very fun (in a psychotically challengingly way) and rewarding field. If you stay interested and decide to pursue it good luck.