Thread: Fire Drills
View Single Post
daycarediva 04:56 AM 12-26-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Emergency shelter in place grab bag. Safety suckers for the littles, starburst, blow pops and laffy taffy for the olders. Don't forget water bottles, sippy cups.

I do my fire drills at different times of day once a month. Fridays was 12 seconds. Typical time is 20 seconds. 6/1 ratio. Blankets, snacks and toys are waiting for us in our go to place.

Preparation is key.

SAME!

My goal is under 10 seconds. 2 minutes? You're all dead. Fire is MUCH faster than you can possibly imagine.

We have a stocked emergency bag by the front door. It contains parent contact info (doubt I will rush to get my cell from it's designated location in a true emergency). Snacks, diapers, wipes, blankets.

Shelter in place is a closet and contains special treats, quiet games, bubbles, etc.

We are required to do monthly fire drills. Even in winter I pull the alarm randomly and they all RUN to the entry carpet. The door helper throws the shoe cubby outside as everyone else grabs their own coat. Under 10 seconds. We get dressed outside in a true emergency.

Shelter in place drills are every 6 months. I HIGHLY doubt we would ever need to actually shelter in place (rural area, not too exciting here) BUT we practice anyway. To the kids, it's just fun and they get a sucker.