View Single Post
Meeko 11:32 AM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Sure this might be true... UNTIL THEY START SCHOOL!! I've never known a kid who was home from birth to kinder and didn't spend their first year at school sick!

I personally don't know what the big deal about illness from daycare is. Typically, the child's first few months at daycare they will catch anything and everything and begin building an imminuty - it's natural and necessary! I find every year my littles that are 10-12 months spend their first 6 or so months in my care sick with various illnesses and then very rarely get sick again (other than colds).
My best friend is a kindy teacher. She, and other teachers I have spoken to, can tell which kids were in day care and which ones were at home.

The kids who had been in day care were rarely sick and didn't miss much school. Those who were at home and had not been exposed to much...missed a lot of school due to illness.

So now or later....but one way or the other, they are going to be a social setting , around other people and start the cycle of being sick and building immunity. Being at home doesn't stop it...it just delays it.