View Single Post
Countrygal 05:08 AM 09-01-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I either put them in the dishwasher or on the back of the counter behind the faucet. I had two there (behind the faucet) last week when I had the inspection.
This one doesn't work. Have to be completely off the counter. I had some I had just used (in fact wasn't done with the meal when she came - burnt my eggs. ) but she mentioned it AND my knife rack which is pushed to the back of the counter specifically.

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I put mine in a cup under the kitchen sink. Works for me and my registrar.
This sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, she made me move my knives that were in LOCKED cabinets (child locks) to an upper cabinet where the kids could not reach them on a stool.

Daycare - WI regs are the same way. I've always wondered about the "soap" reg. How can they wash their hands???? No soap???? Actually in another of our regs it says they need to have soap available to wash hands. C'mon!!! Let's get these laws sorted out!!! IN all honesty, tho, I recently discovered our laws were revised since I opened, and I have not gone over them yet, so maybe some of this has been dealt with.....

Heidi - I soooooo agree!!!! Like I said, she came in the middle of making my meal (kids had just eaten), and I had a knife out. She could clearly see I was still cooking. I even mentioned my eggs were definitely well done! But she specifically mentioned the knives could not be left on the counter. UGH!!! There's no way I'll ever pass an inspection - they always find SOMETHING. The high point is that she did not mention my garbage can with the plastic bag liner. Kids don't stand a chance of learning about life! They are too "insulated". I can understand, esp. with law suits as prevalent as they are, tho...... Oh, and she specifically mentioned butter knives are included.

I think I'll have to get used to NEVER setting a knife down, even if I have to help someone in the bathroom. Maybe I could put a tray specifically for dirty knives on top of my refrig (although I consider this unsanitary - it is called cross contamination) if I don't have a moment to wash them immediately.

WOW!! Thanks for all of the responses! I'm answered a lot of them! Such great variety! You gals are AWESOME!!!