View Single Post
NewParent2018 06:56 PM 12-05-2018
As a parent, I think most parents will understand. There are lots and lots of other businesses that handle things the same way, so we all should be used to it.

I wouldn't even offer an explanation - just say, 'And this is how our rates work'. If someone has a problem with it, then maybe mention how...

* It is a lot easier (for parents and you) to keep the costs the same

* That many of the costs you incur are still charged to you, even on holidays. Nobody gets back 1/30th of their insurance premium on a month with a holiday. The mortgage/rent/taxes you pay on the building are still their even when the children aren't.

* Lots of other businesses follow the same model. I have a season pass to a pool, when the pool is closed I don't get money back. I have a monthly pass to a gym, it costs the same each month even if the gym is closed on a few days.

Finally, if anyone had a really problem with it - I'd offer them the option to NOT pay for holidays. Just do the math - calculate how many hours they'd use the Daycare, then calculate how many holidays are including. Then increase the hourly rate so that every other hour is that tiny bit more expensive.

Something like:

For $15 an hour, holidays are included in your fee....but if you'd rather not pay on holidays, the rate is $15.65 per hour which works out to the exact same annual rate. There is, however, an additional administrative fee of $30 per year if you'd like the more detailed calculations involved in not charging you for a holiday. It's entirely up to you, but we find that most families prefer the flat rate.