View Single Post
nothingwithoutjoy 09:29 AM 09-13-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
Wow you really go out to make the child feel welcome and at home. Do you send all though things with the child when they leave?
Have you considered charging a one time supply / start up fee? or a application fee?...
Now sadly, I do not prepare as much for day care kids as I did for foster kids. Maybe because this is just were they "visit" vs where they will live.

Again, what an awesome job you do to help the kids feel welcome.
Thank you.

Some goes home; some stays here to be re-used. Sometimes it depends how long they've been here. A child who's been using a field bag for 5 years is going to take it with them when they go. Someone who was only here 2 days a week for a year? I stitch-rip that name off and replace it! :-) Journals, nature journals, portfolios, sketch books....all the stuff they've worked on over time goes home. This year we're learning recorder for the first time. I bought enough for the group, and labeled them. But I'll sanitize and re-label those. Some things (like name rocks for the table, for example) I've learned to keep and not send home, because most of my kids return for snow days or school vacations at some point, and they like to feel like they still belong here and love seeing their old stuff.

I do charge a minimal application fee ($10, to cover printing of handbook, etc.) But maybe that should be bigger to get me started. I also charge a $50/year supply fee, though they don't pay that until when they start.

I guess to me it sort of feels like they do live here; they're here such a large part of their day and of their earliest years. So I try to make it their home, too, in a way.