View Single Post
cheerfuldom 09:39 AM 11-05-2012
I would and have lowered rates in the past due to the same situation. About 2 years ago, the market in my area was suddenly bursting from the seams with SAHMs taking a kid or two to make ends meet or people starting small in home daycares like mine. The rates where about 125 to 150 a week and dipped lower and lower till I was regularly seeing less than 100 week! I did end up lowering my rate to get kids started, I also took part timers and an infant to make ends meet. My priority is to get my bills paid and if I have to adjust to the market to do that, so be it. Its better than hanging on to something that probably wasnt going to happen (a full time older child at my old rate). Now the market is finally turning. I see more and more people looking for spots, have more interest in my openings, see people getting out of daycare that couldnt hack it (selling off items on CL and that sort of thing). So I do think things will turn around eventually. you could always raise rates in the future. I am raising my rates at the new year and most likely letting my part timers go....things are finally changing for me and I am back to my old rate with full timers only and no more infants (which is what I wanted!)

as for advertising, have you done flyers in your neighborhood, door to door? I would just hire a teen to put them in the doors (not mailboxes)