View Single Post
Auntie 05:16 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
This is a little off topic but I'm looking for all types of opinions/advice/suggestions.

I have 4 kids...3 girls, 1 boy. My son is 10 and is wanting to join football in the autumn. At first I thought it was great that he wanted to be active, play a sport, ect. but looking at this further has lead me to believe it would be more of a nuisance than it's worth.

Not only is there a practice once or twice a week in the week (usually at 530pm) but there is a game EVERY Saturday or Sunday and they are all between 345pm and 730pm!

I like to spend my weekends cleaning, relaxing, planning upcoming events for daycare, grocery shopping, etc.

Is it selfish of me to not want him to do this?!

Not only do I find myself feeling exhausted already just thinking about it but not 2 of the 3 girls are harping me that they now want to do something too!

To be completely honest, I don't see us having the money to enroll 3 of the 4 kids, I don't like to drive and I would be forced to take them here, there and everywhere, and I would have to pretty much keep every weekend open. That would mean not seeing my family for 9 solid weeks as well.

Keep in mind that I come from a family that sports weren't an option nor were they ever introduced. I asked to be in several things as a child (gymnastics, cheer leading, etc.) The only choice I got was to be in band.

I don't want to hold my kids back but I do think that they are too young. At the same time, any activity would put a hinder on my job and on my life in general and I'm the type that thrives on structure.

Any suggestions?!
When I did daycare at home when my daughter was young and she wasn't in any sports or activities because I felt the same way as you. My son had football but he was older and in highschool and could get himself there.
Looking back I wish I would have put her into something.

Last year she was in junior high and played basketball not the traveling kind the "cheaper" kind. yes games every weekend. But, it was not that bad. We enjoyed the games and it gave us something to do as a family as well.

I say go for it. let them pick one and see how it goes. Stick with it through the end and you will probably be thankful that you did it.