View Single Post
broncomom1973 05:19 PM 08-11-2011
Dh and I are both self employed. I do daycare, he owns a business with no other employees. We have a comprehensive healthcare plan through BCBS and we pay over $1000 per month for our family of 5. They tried to get us to go to a lesser plan last year but the problem was with dh's cholesterol med and diuretic that he has been on for a couple of years, he now had a pre-existing condition (hypertension and high cholesterol) so the downgraded plan cost as much as our comprehensive plan. The problem with our comprehensive plan which is $1000 deductible per person or $2000 per family is that since we are the only people in our group, if we use it for anything other than a few doctors appt.'s, our premium automatically goes up the next year. Two years ago we were just under $800, last year around $960 and now over $1000. The only thing it's been used for in those 3 years is a tonsillectomy and ear tubes a year before that (not in the same plan year). We didnt meet our deductible before either procedures. Insurance sucks!! I read somewhere a year ago that by the year 2017, the avg cost of insurance for a family would be in the $20,000 range.