View Single Post
momma2girls 05:02 AM 05-20-2010
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
I have gone through this way to many times! I now ALWAYS make sure to ask the PARENT if the child ate at home!! If they ate at home they can wait until the next snack/meal because 9 times out of 10 they are going to want the food, but not eat it! I got sick of throwing so much food away (especially breakfast) that I now ALWAYS ask if the child ate anything at home before comming to daycare!!

On the flip side if the parent says no they didn't eat anything before daycare and then the child still doesn't eat, I don't make it a big deal. I guess they just aren't hungry in which I toss the food away!!

I also listen to what and how much they ate before daycare! I have a mom that once and awhile gives her child dry cheerios while she gets ready in the am, well that is fun, but then I usually only expect the child to eat half or her breakfast at my house and only give her what I think she will eat! She can ALWAYS have more!! : )

Hope this helps!! Now if a child completely does not eat lunch, then I say that is fine, but this is what you are going to eat at snack time and I save their lunch! : ) All of my daycare kids know I am not joking and they usually eat pretty good, but there are still those days where maybe they are just not hungry at meal time, which is fine, but I am still going to give them the nutritional meal instead of a snack at snack time!!
THis is the main reason I went away from doing breakfast at all. I am so busy with trying to get my children out the door for school. The children would eat at home and waste my food here. I have an am snack around 9:00-9:30 and we eat dinner at 11:00-11:30. In addition to everything else, I have parents coming thru to drop children off, and 2 babies that need fed!! UGHHH!!!! I am so busy every am between 7:30-9:00am!!!