View Single Post
marniewon 11:34 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
That's the thing - I don't think it's my job to be entertainment for the kids. Do I love reading to them, feeding them, and caring for them? Yes. Do I want to sit on the floor and speak in a cartoon voice and dance toy farm animals around all day long? NO! I've been feeling some guilt over this - like if I'm NOT doing that, I'm not doing a good job or doing what the parents expect me to do. Nannyde is right, though - for two-fifty an hour, can parents really expect me to do that?
That's the kicker - yes, parents can, and DO! expect us to play with their children and a whole lot more for very little money!! After reading this thread, I got to thinking of my own childhood (and my own children, for that matter). No adults ever played with me. Read to me, care for me, feed me, etc? Yep. But get down on the floor with me? No way. And I didn't do that with my own kids, well, maybe once in a great while! I love my kids and I do stuff with them all the time (and my parents with me also) but no, no one was down playing on the floor with me or my kids. I do have one child in my care who expects me to play with him, constantly. He has his parents and his 17yo sister and grandma around him. They play with him. He is very socially behind when it comes to playing with other children, he expects me to entertain him. I don't. he is my lowest paying child, and the one who expects the most out of me (special snacks/meals at odd times, playing constantly, etc). I do believe parents expect us to play with their little darlings, but I'm with Nannyde - you want me to be a nanny, pay me at least minimum wage and I'll entertain and amuse your child all day long

Just an aside....have you ever heard the phrase that parents say - "that's why I had more than one child"? Pretty sure it was in answer to the question - will you play with me? LOL