View Single Post
childcaremom 03:27 AM 01-22-2017
I just dealt with a biter.

When anything like that happens, I write an injury report up for the child that was bitten. I include time, what was happening at the time of the bite, what I did (washed, iced if nec., hugs and kisses, etc), what I will do to prevent it in the future.

I write an incident report up for the parents of the biter. So basically the same thing but how I handled it for them.

Both have to sign and return the sheets for their files.

However, as soon as it happens (or as soon as I can), I send both families a text or email so that they know it happened prior to pick up. I never identify the child(ren) involved, just that it happened, offer some suggestions on how to assist at home to curb the behaviour, and tell them how I am handling it here to help prevent it from happening again.

Biting can be very emotional for parents (both sides) so I try to stay as calm and matter of fact as possible. I don't debate whether it's normal behaviour or not, just what I am prepared to do to prevent it in the future.

I would just have a brief convo with parents at pick up, tell them that you need the documentation for their file, and get their signature. If you normally send forms home, ask them to please return it the following day of care.

It's not easy but just be calm and matter of fact about it and that will help everyone.