View Single Post
Nellie 10:50 PM 10-09-2011
So much can change in a year. You never know when a parent could loose a job, move, have another baby and decide to stay home, ect. Even once you find out you are expecting, you don't know if any of the above could happen or 1/2 way through your maternity leave a family may decide to not bring the child back. I currently have 1/2 of my DCK's that started out as a temporary spot while there current provider was out on maternity leave and decided they didn't want to switch the children back.
I have had some DCP's ask if how long I planned on doing daycare for. They wanted to try to find someone who would be able to watch there children from infancy to school. In terms of pregnancy, you are not pregnant at the time I wouldn't disclose that you are trying to get pregnant or planning on getting pregnant. You never know how long it could take before you conceive. It could take a month or 3 years. In terms of selling a home I guess the above applies. They will notice however if you have a sign in your yard.
If I was already pregnant I would disclose to be fair. I think that they should be aware that they will be needing to find back up care in just a short while after starting care. For current DCF's I wouldn't feel so pressure to let them know asap. I actually would probable let them know right away just because some of my families take there vacations when I do. One of my families just told me that between the husband and wife that they had 3 weeks of vacation to burn before the first of the year. They asked if I had any certain days/weeks that I wanted off and they would put in a request for those days.
When I was pregnant I knew that I wanted a lighter load for a while afterwards. A couple of my mom's lost there jobs during the pregnancy and I didn't fill the spots because I feel it was right to fill a spot for 4 months. If it was a doggy day care it would be more than fine, but we work with children and they need consistency. Although I have had some families that I'm sure they would leave in a heart beat if they could get cheaper or at a more convenient daycare. Even if it was for way lower quality of care. There are people though looking for temporary care and could always try to advertise for those clients if that is the case. Or try to get an older kid that would be leaving the next year for kindergarten.