View Single Post
Unregistered 01:11 PM 04-20-2013
Originally Posted by jen:
Honestly, if it was suspected, you should have told her about the issue. I am no longer a daycare provider, rather a special education teacher. I don't know your child, and would never make random assumptions on a child that I hadn't met, but I do think it is important for you to find a provider who is comfortable with special needs kids.

As for the report; if you believe that she is a danger to other children, that she is acting in a way that is psychologically damaging, report her. It doesn't matter what the result is for her, that is for licensing to decide.

If you believe she is good provider and the report is about making a point, then I would let it go.

Good luck! Have you considered a program that specializes in special needs kids? Great way to get ready for school!
That's why I decided to tell her before he started. When I told her she said that she also has a child with cerebral palsy and one with Asperger's. She said it in a way (at the time) that made me think she was competant and okay with this. Later (when I gave her the notice that we were leaving) she told me that if she had known she would have seriously reconsidered and put thought into whether or not she could handle it as well as the others. While you're right, I should have told her in the interview, she could have said that it just wasn't going to work at any time in those first 3 weeks; that was the agreement.

I'm waiting a few days to file the complaint for that exact reason. I want to make sure that I'm doing it for the welfare of the kids and not to "win." Of course, right now I'm angry and it's obviously both. I'm waiting until I cool off and then I'll decide. The longer I've been thinking about it, the more I'm leaning towards she-just-can't-treat-kids-that-way. I'm still not sure.

As for a program that specializes in special needs... that would be great. I haven't found one in my area yet. Are you thinking a Montessori type, a program through the public school, or are there daycares that specialize in special needs? Right now he's commuting half-day to pre-k at the local public school and he's doing AMAZING there. He has a great teacher that completely gets it and he's excelling there. A special needs daycare may be a possibility through the summer though. I have already contacted his kindergarten principal about placing him with an experienced teacher that will work well with him like his pre-k teacher and mentioned that he will probably need a Section 504 for modifications when he starts. He wouldn't qualify for an IEP though because he's a bright kid and his disorders don't affect his education... yet.