View Single Post
nannyde 02:20 PM 09-27-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I don't think two pounds of weight loss is that big of a deal. It is quite common when young children go from crawling, to walking/running, that they lose a bit of weight. I could understand it being a concern if it was a significant amount of weight, but two pounds is very minimal.

On the milk issue, without knowing all of the facts, you cannot really assume that the parent is not properly caring for her child. Her pediatrician may very well have recommended or approved the child to move to cows milk. The juice may be to provide additional calories. If the juice is causing the child to not eat, because she is filling up on juice, then that I would be concerned about, but otherwise, if Mom wants to give juice, then that's her choice. That doesn't mean you have to provide/offer it to her at daycare, but I don't think it is neccessarily something to be concerned about.

Now, it is certainly okay to discuss this with Mom, in a non-confrontational way. Let her know, based on your training, that you feel her daughters diet is lacking in some areas and you are a bit concerned about dcg diet and would like to better understand her reasoning for the milk and juice.
I don't think two pounds of weight loss is that big of a deal. It is quite common when young children go from crawling, to walking/running, that they lose a bit of weight. I could understand it being a concern if it was a significant amount of weight, but two pounds is very minimal.

Wow that is not only incorrect but actually dangerous. Not only is a two pound weight loss between the eigth to eleventh month VERY VERY VERY significant... the child should be GAINING an average of THREE pounds during this time. PLEASE PLEASE look at the clinical growth charts and see what the AVERAGE child does during this time frame. Even at the lower percentiles for the AVERAGE child who is crawling to walking and running they GAIN weight during this time. Remember that nearly ALL children being assessed for height and weight are doing this (mobile) developmentally so the this IS already factored into the clinical assessment.

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data...l/cj41l068.pdf

That doesn't mean you have to provide/offer it to her at daycare, but I don't think it is neccessarily something to be concerned about.

Crystal this child is not even ON the growth charts for weight it's SO low. The baby would have to be at 16 pounds to even BE in the third percentile. Of COURSE it's something to be concerened about.

A parent can NOT give you permission to do the wrong thing. They do NOT get to decide whether or not a provider gives a baby formula. They can decide what BRAND of formula but they can NOT decide to give them juice INSTEAD of formula. If milk is to be served BEFORE the first birthday the BEST PRACTICE (as you know since you are a TEACHER and a MENTOR) is to get a physicians note documenting that the child CAN have milk as a substitute for formula.

A baby who presents so UNDERWEIGHT and having lost 12 percent of her body weight in the last three months and who should be INCREASING her body weight by approximately EIGHT percent during that three month window would NEVER be prescribed this by a doctor.

No clinician in their RIGHT MIND would EVER reccommend this for this child. No one with experience and education on the BASIC growth and development would EVER reccommend this for a child who is LOOSING weight at such a significant rate at this time of infancy.