View Single Post
mac60 03:19 AM 07-08-2011
If I was to serve many of the foods that are listed on this thread, I would first be broke, and I would second be disposing most of it in the trash. I too don't feed processed foods like tater tops, french fries, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, etc. Many of the foods mentioned I can't even afford for my own family let alone feeding it to a dc kid only to put it in the trash. Fresh fruits are very expensive, cheese is expensive, whole grain breads are expensive when you compare them to a loaf of white for .79 at Aldi or $1 at Walmart. I have had this conversation with my neighbors about foods, cost, etc. Eating the foods mentioned in this thread and serving daily to a group of kids, is expensive. Maybe you all get much higher rates and can afford it, not here at $85 for a ft kid.

Typical lunches here:
Homemade chicken n noodles, corn, peaches
Mac and cheese, peanut butter sandwich, green beans
Tuna and noodles, corn, applesauce
Picnic lunch of peanut butter sandwich, chips, fruit
Hot dogs, corn, fruit
Pancakes, sausages, fruit

Lunch is just that, lunch, not the biggest meal of the day. I was raised that dinner/supper is the main meal of each day, and that is how I do my meals. No one has ever left my home hungry unless they chose not to eat what I fixed.