View Single Post
kidkair 07:18 AM 07-09-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They aren't hungry if they have time/energy to be choosy. Feed them what is reimbursed on the FP and nothing more. Don't offer crappy snacks like chips etc, that is a waste of your money and terrible for little kids to eat anyway. I would be mad if my provider offered that to my child while in care.
Originally Posted by momofboys:
She already said there was no food program where she is located!
Just because she's not on the food program doesn't mean she can't follow it's guidelines. The food program is a good resource concerning portion control and how much of each group of food should be given.

I know a lot of people on here say that they provide a protein for every snack but I don't. I tend to make sure I give a grain and fruit or veggie for snacks because that fills me up more than protein and fruit or veggie does. I know I could do protein and grain but I want to get as many veggies into the kids as possible since fast food places tend to be heavy on protein and I know some of my kids get that crap too often. My kids never complain about hunger because they are satisfied and can go play knowing I'll be giving them more at lunch.

Someone mentioned that carrots are not filling and they are right. However you don't need to be full ever. Eating until we are full is wrong. We should eat until we are satisfied. When we eat until we are full we push more food into our bodies then our bodies need. I teach the kids portion control by serving strictly to the guidelines. I also teach them the each part of the meal is important. Lastly I teach that water makes a good filler to finish off the meal if the milk wasn't enough.