Thread: How to Say "No"
View Single Post
GretasLittleFriends 06:33 PM 07-17-2010
So, I have this family. Sometimes they're kind of difficult. Mostly just not following the rules. I believe there is little to no rules or structure at home. Single parent household. They get violent sometimes but only with each other. Ages 4 and 5 (almost 6). So, they are a lot of work during waking hours.

Parent has a new job offer and accepted. Instead of the children being here from say 2:30p - 11:30p (at the latest) the new job will be over nights. Of course parent will have to sleep so there will also be some daytime care needed.

I am trying to figure out to tell the parent that though I offer "24/7" care that I am unwilling to accept these two children overnights. Not necessarily terminate them, just not the overnight shift.

My husband and teenage daughter feel that having them over nights "IS A BAD IDEA". Part of me thinks that it'd be easier to have them here sleeping, rather than here awake. HOWEVER, I have no idea what kind of sleepers they are, if the sleep the night, if there are accidents, night terrors, etc. Also, the thought of me sleeping with them in my home is frightening. What happens if they do something horrifically naughty while I'm sleeping, like light the house on fire. I don't know how they would as they do not know where in the garage the matches/lighters are kept. I could easily them waking up and going outside to play. We live in the country (on 20 acres) but still they are NOT to be outside unsupervised. I honestly don't think I would be getting restful sleep. Not to mention, the other members of my household (husband, teenager, 5yr old and 2 month old) likely wouldn't sleep very well. Not sure where they would sleep either. Likely the living room on mats with sleeping bags and pillows. I do not have a separate daycare area.

When I originally got licensed I advertised 24/7. Now, every once in a great while I will have one child spend the night, though in the 1.5 years I've been licensed it's happened 3 times. I do have a children that stay 'til 11:30 or midnight, every once in a while 1am. I've also had children show up as early as 4am. Difference is it's one at a time, and they are over all much better behaved children.

I wouldn't mind having them during the day when the parent needs to sleep. It's not about money because I would charge the same hourly rate regardless of when they are here. Also, with school starting I would actually get less money if they were here during the day as the older one would be in school anyway.