View Single Post
My3cents 11:15 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
My area is so saturated with other SAHMs doing the same thing that it's near impossible to stand out. From ex-nurses and teachers to mothers of like 5. It seems to be the go-to for making extra income in my area & they have no problem undercutting whatever ad you post. Mind you, there are only about 3-4 actual centers around here. Most kids are watched by (unwilling) grandparents. So I'm often left scratching my head.
{Sorry I have no advise, but I feel you!!}
don't give your rates out over the phone, tell them that you go over that at interviews. This cuts out the peeps that are just looking for a good deal on daycare and helps you to find parents that are looking for quality care and want the child to grow with you-

Sometimes I get caught off guard, but usually I will say I don't discuss rates over the phone we can talk about that more when I meet with you and find out what your needs are etc... if they keep poking I say when would you like to meet up with me, I could do a 5:30 on tuesday. I try to direct the conversation- this really weeds out clients that will not respect me and are daycare hopping for best deals. I look for steady reliable income and respect. It has taken me a long time to get to this but the more I do it the better I get at it. Hope this helps you-

set your rates at a fair price that makes it worth while to you- don't undercut yourself. I also agree find a niche and sell your program. This is what I offer..........this is what I am about...... and save some of that for the interview or double time it with more ooomph. Good luck in your new adventure. You found the right place to find a wealth of knowledge, helps, and inspiration here on the boards in the forum-