View Single Post
Janet 12:28 PM 03-29-2010
OK, just to start before I address anything else, the baby should not have been allowed to sleep on her stomach unless she was totally capable of rolling over, back and forward, with ease. Otherwise it is back to sleep only. I would be upset over that, too.

Now as far as the caregiver dropping the baby, I can speak from my experience that I can't think of a time in my professional career when I have felt worse! What happened in my situation is that I was holding the baby, in the proper way, but there was a "no shoe" rule in the infant room, so of course I was in socks. I went to answer the phone and I slid on the tile and the baby and I both fell. The floor had been waxed the night before and was extra slippery. I did my best to absorb as much of the impact as I could, but she did end up with a bloody lip. I took care of her right away and I called the mom immediately after that. I felt so terrible and I lost track of how many times that I apologized. Finally, the baby's mom was like "Hon, don't worry, she's fine, and I know that you didn't mean for it to happen. Accidents happen!". It had never happened to me before and it hasn't since. No one is perfect and accidents can happen. Instead of focusing on how bad this caregiver is, it would be more productive to be thankful that the baby is OK.

I take no issue with pulling if there are other reasons to pull, but over an accident? I just don't know. Is there more to the story?