View Single Post
PitterPatter 05:17 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Billing the parent: this will definitely encourage the parents to teach their child NOT to destroy costly items. Pitter, correct me if I am wrong, but your post indicated not only is the childs destruction a problem, but the mom not caring or doing anything about it was a big problem too. If mom got a bill, she will likely reinforce the "no breaking things on purpose" rule at home too. If the child learns at home that destruction is unacceptable, her will learn that it is unacceptable everywhere. Billing the parent is a consequence for the parent, not the child. If a child smashes something in a store, the store is going to make mom pay. Period. Your home, Pitter, is no different than the store. Kid breaks it, mom buys it. Mom WILL start to care and WILL WORK with her child to stop the behavior that its costing her so much money.

Disciplining the child at daycare: No, little Jimmy does not care if mom gets a bill. True. But Little Jimmy does care about having fun. Yes, the child should have consequences, like "sorry no art project today, you broke that toy on propose." I can see separating the child from the group for a short time to observe the other kids playing nice. Is rewarding good behavior such a controversy? I think not. Little Jimmy needs to be praised when he is playing nice.

GreenPlastic: I agree with you, even if Mac says "during free play time only", it translates to all day. If.they are not eating, going potty, napping or other routine care functions, they are playing. She doesn't think this child should be allowed to play, for a week, and that is easy too harsh.
Yes the part that has me even more frustrated is DCM always blowing it off. No matter the issue really. It's always the same no matter the problem "BOOOOBBBYYYYY" (calm low toned and dragged out like you know better) that's it. I spoke with DCM again at pick up and told her we should make time to discuss the breaking of toys and what we can do as a team to make sure he understand that he has to play nice. She just said " I already know he's destructive he's only 3. There's nothing that can be done he's just a little boy" THAT ignorance is what makes me want to fine her arse for it all!

I have 2 battles on my hands. The battle with DCB and the battle with DCM because she won't help me enforce the rules with DCB. He wont stop at my home is he it is just giggled at and blown off at home. I almost hope the little sweetheart breaks something important to her!