Thread: Time Outs
View Single Post
caregiver 12:41 PM 01-03-2011
Does anyone else use time outs and for how long do you put them in time outs?
I'm having an ongoing thread on the parents site about time outs. Providers can use this site also to write things. I do believe in time outs when nothing else works and I am finding out that many providers do not use time outs and think they are cruel. I believe that children need to know that when they misbehave that just sometimes talking to them as maybe they took a toy away from another child, that just saying to them that is not a nice thing to do or this redirecting stuff, like saying why don't you pick another toy instead. sometimes doesn't work and that is when time outs are used if that doesn't work. I think kids need to know that if they misbehave, there are consequences for their actions. Like sitting on the time out chair for 10 minutes.
That is not cruel and maybe means something to them like maybe they should not do what they did again if they don't want to sit in time out. I'm talking about children 1 and 1/2, not younger. I think they need to know boundaries and what they can get by with and what they can't and need to know what they did was wrong to learn.
Kids need discipline and time outs are not abusive or cruel. My daycare parents themselves do time outs and if they do it, then I need to follow through also. Also ten minutes is not too long and the kids do know why I put them in time outs so they understand why they are put there.
What are your opinions.