View Single Post
My3cents 11:03 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I do go over it all during the interview. My interview is at least an hour. Typically up to 2 hours. I am overly informative about all my rules, ways of operating my daycare and our routine. Often, the parents will tell me how they are at home and I tell them on the interview how I will handle that situation at daycare. For example they will tell me the child is allowed to eat and drink whenever they want. So I will tell them on the interview that their child will get food and drink only at meal time here and then the food and drink will be picked up and they have to wait for the next meal to be served. Except when it is really hot and we are outside, then I allow them water throughout the time we are outside and when we come back inside we get a drink.

But even though we discuss everything at the interview, when the child is going through the adjustment period getting used to my way vs. the parents way, the parents get mad and won't give the child or themselves the time needed to adjust.
The parent gets mad! You just implement your rules. You need to give new clients time to adjust and see that you don't budge on your own rules. Group care is different from one on one care. I say this a lot. Many parents don't understand what group care is all about, they just think play mates for little one. They don't go above that and think cooperation, waiting turns, etc... they just think about their one and only precious and what they want for them. They don't have to split up their time for more then there own kids so they don't understand when someone else does. They get clued in quick when school starts, but for kids that are in daycare before school it starts then. I don't blame my parents, but I do keep telling them the rules, and what I expect to keep my day and everyone's day running the smoothest it can. Nap time is not about making your kid sleep so that they are up all night. It is about rest for everyone that is very much needed from a busy day of go go go. I have said this time and time again, parents are not thinking of us, they are thinking of their own child and what they have on their plates for the then and now. They just don't. Natural. So, have to explain this is how I work and how it works best for everyone here. Your not being unreasonable. Hang in there. Explain to the parents, adjustment times can be hard, we just all need to stick to it and be on the same page. I do things different then you do and that is ok.