View Single Post
daycarediva 09:05 AM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I'll tell you why, STATE REGULATIONS.

Many states ask that licensed care providers strongly consider closing when weather conditions makes road travel unsafe. Why? Because it's not enough for you to get your child TO day care, you need to be able to pick them up FROM day care should something come up (the provider loses power, your child becomes ill, or, heaven forbid gets injured while at day care) If, heaven forbid, something were to happen, and bad weather or road conditions were to cause a delay for parents or emergency services to get to the providers home, the state will go after the provider for TWO things 1. that a child was hurt in their care (even if it wasn't the providers fault, she's still in trouble...) and 2. Being open when conditions were not conducive to it. This means your provider could be shut down pending an investigation, or permanently.
(and this happened locally, so I'm not overreacting )

This also means day care/homeowners insurance may not pay out for accidents/injuries caused on a bad weather day - if the snow/ice is coming down and I can't keep up with removal and a dck or dcp slips, falls and hurts themselves on my drive/walk I am LIABLE for any injuries they may suffer. If licensing says I shouldn't have been open anyway, you can bet insurance will get out of paying out

Just like a center, the in home provider (if she's a good one) has already purchased supplies for the day - food, craft material, other curriculum materials, etc. If she takes the day without pay, she may not be able to operate in the Black. This means eventually she has to close and get a "real" job that pays her bills, leaving clients in the lurch. Just like any business, the in home provider is doing this job to MAKE money.

The bottom line is that while the general population views in homes as "babysitters" who can set their own hours and policies, that simply isn't true if they are licensed. Both the state and insurance companies view licensed in homes as they businesses they are, and subject to the rules and regulations of the state. I can't say to licensing "I'm not going to follow this reg because it inconvenience my clients." A parent can't give a licensed provider permission to do the wrong thing.

It does sound as if you need a different care option, I know centers around here tend not to close for snow days, and hardly any holidays. That may be the better option for you. Or perhaps network with neighbors to see if any teens could babysit for the day when you have to work and dc is closed.
Since you know your providers policy and it doesn't work for you, it's not a good idea to stay and let things stew. Good luck!

I just knew with the storms in the northeast US that this was going to be dredged up yet again.

It's this simple: DON'T ENROLL YOUR CHILDREN IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH THE POLICIES.

I close in a SOE, with pay. I cannot control acts of God, nor will I risk my livelihood and freedom to stay open for a parent willing to risk their child's safety to get to work.

We have specific state regulations, policies and plans in place for emergencies that cover all of this. I can be cited if BOTH my egresses aren't clear at all times, if it's snowing hard enough, with six small children in care, how am I supposed to keep these areas clear in the event of an emergency? I NEVER want to be placed in a situation where I cannot get children out safely in an emergency, where emergency personnel cannot arrive to my home in time to save a child, or where I have to evacuate due to power loss. These are very real, very possible scenarios. I am the business owner. I am liable. I am responsible.

I operated under a delay today, until roads were passable and the SOE was lifted. I NEVER want to place these children at risk. I NEVER want to be in one of the above scenarios. EVER. It's my absolute worst nightmare.

The safety of the children in my care is my highest priority, NOT a parent's inconvenience. MANY times, I have been the one to overrule a parent when a child's best interests aren't at heart (road conditions, illnesses, proper attire for weather, you name it).