View Single Post
D. Owen 03:03 PM 10-30-2019
I'm curious as to any legality regarding state licensed facilities (Wisconsin) and how far they can take their religious indoctrination.

Now before we begin, some groundwork to be laid; I am not religious, at all. Atheist would likely be the best description as I reject all religions and raise my children without it. Be good people because you want to, not because of some fear of eternal damnation. I don't attack religious people, half my family is very religious, but I fight back, hard, when religious beliefs are pushed back on me and my children. That said, if I were able, I would happily take my children elsewhere, however options in my area are, a) Religious Facility, b) In-Home, c) YMCA (which is absurdly expensive). Additionally our school district will only bus to a handful of facilities, all of which are, again, religious or the YMCA. Our hands are quite tied and we are essentially left without options.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way; the issue. The night before Halloween we are being told that our two-year-old cannot wear his costume because it violates their rules/contract. He is SpiderMan. Again, he is two years old. It literally says in their contract (now that I've gone back and read the part about that which no reasonable human being would ever think to look for) "no frightening beings, such as Spider Man". Yes, they list Spider Man as a frightening being.

Setting aside the irony in calling a fictional super hero "frightening" while worshiping someone who supposedly will send you to an eternal fiery damnation as punishment for not believing in Him, or who orders followers to murder their children... Yeah, setting that aside; I'm curious if this institution, any institution, religious or secular, can make such a mandate based on their beliefs.

My wife has told me to drop it. I will die on this hill. She's afraid they'll boot us out if I push the issue which, honestly, makes me want to push harder. Corner me, threaten me, and I go full Ray Donovan. Or I send my 2' tall toe-head in looking like Pennywise...

So really I'm just looking for legal technicalities for this situation. Can I opt my children out of their religious activities? Can they seriously deny him his costume in such a way??

P.S. If you're gonna come in here and just preach at me, you're wasting your effort. Move along.