View Single Post
sahm2three 06:02 PM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
RSV can potentially be fatal. I know. My son was born 5 weeks early & got bronchiolitis when he was 5 weeks old which resulted in a 7 day stay at our local Children's Hopsital PICU. He was put on a breathing machine it was so bad (I don't mean a nebulizer I mean a breathing tube down his throat). We were told at the time that he may not make it. No, it was not RSV but 1 month later (when he was 9 weeks) he then did test positive for RSV & had pneumonia. This resulted in another almost-week long stay at the hospital. It was a very scary time for us. I guess my point is my son was healthy & just got a bad cold which resulted in these issues. I didn;t do daycare at the time. But it was a terribly scary time in our life & since then I have never taken a day for granted. Please be tough with your illness standards, you are the only one who can/will enforce them. What that mom did was unbelievable. BTW my son is a mostly-healthy 7-year-old but he does suffer with moderate asthma which more than likely was brought on by his early illnesses.
So glad your son pulled thru! I have a nephew that almost died from it as well, and as a result, I do not take it lightly or consider it a "mild illness". I take it very seriously! If I had all 4 year olds in my care, it may not seem as huge a deal to me, but with infants in care, big deal

My special needs guy does take shots monthly I believe during RSV season. But there is NO reason to KNOWINGLY expose ANYONE to that illness. I don't take any childs life for granted!