View Single Post
daycare 07:16 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I find it sad that so many of you removed the swings because of kids getting hurt.

I'm sorry but getting hurt is part of growing up. Swings are a vital part of a playground and not something that should be limited because on child who really shouldn't have been allowed to be standing near the swings in the first place got hurt.

I teach my littles from the very beginning to not go near the swings while others (older kids) are using them. It doesn't take long and is really easy to do.

I have 10-12 kids daily from infancy to age 5 (with a majority of my kids being 2-4) and I don't have many instances of kids getting hit by swings. We go over play ground rules every day before we go outside and use plenty of reminders when we are outside. If a smaller child walks near the swing set, they are immediately redirected and told no. No differently than if they were walking toward the road or somewhere else just as dangerous.

I just think that pretty soon, there will be no playground equipment and nothing to do outside so everyone will either just stand around outside or stop going out all together.
Kids will get hurt but I will do everything I can to keep them safe when they are with me. I have a Backyard probably the size of your living room. Heck probably smaller.
I offer so many other thing its not noticed. It's not sad it's just not necessary.
I can't possibly lay offer them every experience

However. Even if I had a huge backyard I wouodnt get swings. That's just me.