Thread: An Odd Question
View Single Post
nannyde 08:09 AM 07-11-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
Not only the training, but the equipment too, cuz I'm sure that duct tape is not an approved restraint device.

I'm unsure about the requirements for public schools having a restraint trained person on staff, but keep in mind you're comparing a daycare (usually one person operation) with a school setting, which normally has a staff of 50 or more people.
I do see this as something that will end up being required for home day care. As children become out of control at a younger and younger age and the discipline techniques that are allowed become kindler and gentler we are going to see more and more kids becoming violent at a younger age.

When explosive children are injured simply by the resistant force that an adult HAS to provide to keep them from harming themselves, others, and property the result will be requiring us to get trained to restrain without harming.

Right now in my State MAT training is required for wannabe foster care parents.

I think if we surveyed providers both center and home all over the country and asked them: Are children becoming more violent at a younger age, is it the same, or is it less? I think the overwhelming answer would be MORE violent at a YOUNGER age.

Once the parent, child, and provider are not the only ones involved in the outcomes of violent little kids... meaning the other parents, other kids, and insurers... When the State is having to use it's resources to evaluate whether or not an injury to the violent child was an act of aggression or protection for the provider.. THEN we will see required training and possibly even restraint equipment.